Monday 13 May 2013

Worksheets to complete the unit on plants for year 1 and 2 students.

It has been really nice to see people have been downloading the Learn to teach science well guide that I wrote. I would love some feedback on how people have found it. I have just finished uploading the worksheets that accompany the unit described in the guide. They are available at TpT.


  

When I was teaching this unit with a year 1 class I really enjoyed the detail my young students went to in not only examining the plants before they drew their observations, but the detail in their images. I had to teach my students to draw what they saw not what they thought was there and in doing so they really noticed more from week to week. They seemed to care about the plants more as they monitored their growth and looked at every detail of the plant pots that were being passed around the class. 
I was impressed with how well they understood the concept of fair testing and I knew that I could trust them to be gentle with the plants as they were passed around the room so as to not create any accidental variables. 
It was one of those great units you just know your students will remember for a long time and that's what we aim for. 

Now that I am creating a few resources I am noticing challenges with access to free images, borders and fonts that I am legally allowed to use on my resources. I am not at the stage of being able to purchase access to stock images, but I realise this may be an option for me in the future. Any other suggestions are welcome.

So where to next. I feel that it would be only right to spend some time working on lessons for the design and make process the way I like to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment