Monday 29 June 2015

Organising my TPT graphics collection

Now that I have been working heavily on my Teachers Pay Teacher store, I had begun to encounter some issues with the way I have been saving my clipart, backgrounds, fonts and borders. It is very easy to become a horder of beautiful digital works both free and paid and I was being very lax in how I filed my downloads.

I decided early on that just putting them in one folder to scroll up and down would be a good idea for easy access. Turns out that was a very bad idea. Not only did I have no idea who owned the work I downloaded, I didn't know who to reference and I didn't know if I had paid for the download or not. All a copyright nightmare. Realising this, I switched to downloading files and keeping them in their original folder with the same name provided by the artist. This however was also confusing as the names meant something to the designer but not me.

So now I think I have finally got it sorted and it's helping me in more ways than one.

As you can see I have renamed each of the folders to first have the title of the designer and then the set included within. This has been great because I am fast becoming familiar with the names of the artists remembering who has my favourite styles. They become my first port of call to return to for new work.
This has made referencing a breeeze also as I recognise the style and go straight back to the folder to find the artist's button for reference.
I do the same with my font files, however I have been using google docs to jot down ideas for my products and have a list of font licences I have purchased there, I'll never forget which fonts I am permitted to use this way.
It's a small piece of organisation, but with two small children it is important to keep on top of the small things that save a few minutes each day.
I hope this will be of help to other teacher authors.


No comments:

Post a Comment